Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Secret Doorway

There is a secret doorway
Under lock and key
That reveals itself in the midnight hour
But only ever to me

I pass through unnoticed
And disappear completely
For a few sweet hours
That stretch into eternity

Beyond that arcane portal
A universe of my own
Unlike the day-lit world
This one feels like home

Through its hidden valleys
Behind its many doors
Up the secret stairway
Down to the ocean floor

This world is my own essence
It knows me through and through
It harbors and it heals me
It cuts straight to the true

So far beyond the shores
Of the Earth so mundane
Free from doubt or worry
Free from strife or pain

No distance could you travel
Nor stone overturn
To find this hidden garden
Where nightly I return

It is there that I may flourish
And bloom eternally
I lay down all my burdens
I know serenity

But when the clock winds down
And brings about the day
To the flesh am I returned
The passage fades away

Throughout the sun-baked toil
Of empty drudgery
Many hours spent in longing
For the turning of that key

No comments:

Post a Comment